$200 billion productivity gains
$190 billion savings from reduced real estate, electric bills, absenteeism & employee turnover
100 hours per person not spent commuting
50 million tons of greenhouse gas emissions cut
276 million barrels of oil saved
1500 lives not lost in car accidents
$700B total estimated savings
…so says Inc Magazine about virtual companies. As a virtual agency since we were founded in 1998, PerkettPR is proud to spend every day contributing to the improvement of our environment. Not only do we reduce our agency’s carbon footprint – less gas, less real estate, lower electric bills, less emissions, etc. – but we improve the satisfaction of our employees as well, as their “commutes” allow for successful careers and happy home and personal lives. Being able to work a full day and still fit in time for dinner with the family, or an outdoor run before dark, provides PerkettPR employees with the opportunity to fulfill both career and personal aspirations. We’re proud of our positive culture from both an eco-friendly standpoint and an employee-happiness standpoint.
Like any smart company, we’re certainly always looking for ways to improve. Recently, several of our employees shared additional ways that they contribute to a green environment. Without further ado, here are our tips.
Easy Ways to Be an Eco-Friendly business:
- Recycle paper products, e.g., mail, container boxes, etc.
- Recycle ink/toner cartridges
- Use only recycled paper
- Re-use paper by printing on both sides – for internal documents
- Use sleep mode on electronic devices to consume less energy when not in use. You can also turn off the power on your surge protector (energy saving practice)
- Use CFL light bulbs
- Use mobile phones or a VoIP provider (like Skype) as business lines to save on cost/use of energy
- Be paperless whenever possible (e.g., review documents on computer screen instead of printing out, use email instead of paper delivery, keeping files on computers.)
- Use a free conferencing and web meeting service for meetings, like client Powwownow, instead of traveling to meetings
- Use a dry erase or chalk board to take notes instead of using Post-Its or order recycled Post-Its
- Utilize instant messenger services versus phone calls to save energy; money
- Promote the use of filters for tap water instead of buying costly (and damaging) water bottles.
- Re-use file folders and boxes.
- Cut down on personal newspaper or magazine delivery and use online options instead.
- Purchase software online (SaaS) – save on packaging materials, costs, etc.
- When ordering corporate-logo gear, order non-toxic products from US-based manufacturers, when possible. Safe and eco-friendly stainless still water bottles are made in China, but both Klean Kanteen and SIGG have fair-trade manufacturing environments.
- Offer flexible work schedules (e.g. 3x day) or telecommuting to cut down on emissions, traffic caused by your employees’ commuting.
- Offer incentives to take pubic transportation or to carpool if telecommuting is not an option.
- Reduce (strive to eliminate) the use of disposable and toxic products and practices
- Use stainless steel reusable water bottles and reusable travel mugs that don’t have a liner made with harmful BPA (if it doesn’t say it’s BPA-free, then it’s not) or other eco-friendly containers
- Use VOC-free paint in the office, such as Benjamin Moore Aura.
- Strike a “corporate discount” deal with a “green” dry cleaner.
- Do not use non-biodegradable plastic bags (the type many grocery stores offer), instead use biodegradable bags as office trash liners and reusable bags for shopping
What are your tips for becoming a green business? What do you do around your office each day to contribute to a healthier Earth? Please share!
Technorati Tags: Earth Day, eco-friendly, green